Here is a quick update to yesterday’s post. It is especially for my niece, who wondered “how long it takes for things to look normal again”. The answer is: not very long…

As far as we know, there was very little water damage to camp buildings. One of the staff residences gets its water from a line that goes across the creek. That line was severed during the flood.

There were some places where we had about an inch of mud or lots of bark mulch or gravel on our roads. The maintenance department has a large rotating brush that they can attach to one of the tractors – a lot like a street sweeper. By late afternoon, the creek was back within its banks, and maintenance swept off the roads. (I don’t have any pictures of that.)

This morning I went for a walk and took some pictures. Here is the spot where water ran out of the far side of the creek yesterday.

Water topped the far bankIf you look closely, you see the picnic table. Water was flowing around it.

Here is the ruler that is used to measure water level. In yesterday’s picture, the level is about 2.8′. (You’ll have to look closely to see the ruler at all!) The number isn’t entirely trustworthy, since the water was splashing quite a bit. Also, you can see by the slope that it’s already going over the waterfall. The flood peaked between 2.8′ and 3.0′.

In today’s picture, the water level is about 0.4′. So in 24 hours, the level came down about 30 inches!

This picture was taken from about the same spot as one of yesterday’s pictures.

At the waterfall, one day after the floodThe water is way down, but the flood left behind a few signs:

  • There is mud on the overlook.
  • There is a tiny (but deep!) sinkhole in the middle of the overlook (hence, the caution tape). It formed near the sinkhole from Hurricane Sandy.
  • At the far corner of the overlook, the wall has collapsed, and the ground behind it has eroded away.
  • At the base of the overlook, part of the wall is missing. (Not visible in the picture.) That’s another reason for the caution tape.

Finally, this picture looks almost serene…

Below the falls... one day later

…until one realizes that I would have been sitting under water 24 hours earlier.