Well – it’s been fun seeing how I’ve picked up a bunch of new readers/followers in the last few months as I wrote the story of my family’s trip to Cambodia. It seemed that anything that I tagged with ‘travel’, ‘Cambodia’, or ‘photos’ brought in new people. Alas, I’m turning my attention to the more routine things in my life now, which I’m afraid will bore many of you — long-time and recent followers alike.
It has been a while since I updated the list of books on the nightstand (or scattered thereabouts). Of the seven books that I listed last year and the three that I added this past summer, I’ve finished five (and still need to report on one) and am still reading five. Some never get finished.
Nevertheless, I continue to add more books. Without further ado, here’s the reading list as it now stands, with books from last February (*) or July (^) marked…
- The Pastor by Eugene Peterson (autobiography)
- Jesus Freak by Sara Miles (autobiography)
- An Altar in the World by Barbara Brown Taylor
- The Politics of Jesus by John H. Yoder*
- Insurrection by Peter Rollins
- A Christian View of Hospitality by Michele Hershberger^
- The Jesus-Driven Life by Michael Hardin*
- Working with Words by Stanley Hauerwas^
- Presence by J. Alexander Sider and Isaac S. Villegas^
- The Original Illustrated Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle
And here are the books that are just waiting for a chance to make it onto the list above. Some have already made it to the nightstand, but I’ve only looked at the first chapter. Some haven’t been opened at all. Some are arriving in the mail today. Some – thankfully – haven’t entered the house (yet…).
- The Shack by William Young
- The Practice of Love, edited by Jonathan Brink
- The Bible Made Impossible by Christian Smith
- One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp
- Making Room by Christine Pohl
- The Authenticity of Faith by Richard Beck
- Falling Upward by Richard Rohr
- Naked Spirituality by Brian McLaren
I think I must resist adding to this list unless I either finish or remove books already on it.