So – yesterday I mentioned that my wife and I had a date at an Amish bulk food store (E&S Sales in Shipshewana, Indiana) and suggested that you (faithful readers) also need to make a pilgrimage to experience one of these stores yourselves. So today I offer my list of unique things you might encounter when you make your trip.
- Arrow root
- Textured vegetable protein
- Purple and blue popcorn (Not flavored. The kernels are actually purple and blue.)
- 96 varieties of cookie sprinkles (And get this – my wife was disappointed with the selection. “We’ve had all of these before.”)
- Chia seeds
- Hearts of wheat
- Steel cut oat groats
- Jalapeño eggs
- 25 varieties of vanilla extract and imitation extract, including one in powder form
- 1 gallon containers of marshmallow crème
- 1 oz of saffron (for $76)
- 1.5 lb. bags of mustard seeds (enough faith to move many mountains there)
- Blueberry cheese
- Prayer coverings for Amish dolls
And two other random sights from Amish country:
- A line of dresses, hanging on the back porch of one house in order to dry. The dresses were arranged in rainbow order. Just a little expression of individuality in a culture that stresses community.
- A father? Or older brother? Someone with a girl in a pony cart practicing her driving in empty church parking lot. Turns out that the Amish do it just like the “English”.